Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Misery vs. Strength

"We can make ourselves miserable or we can make ourselves stronger. The amount of work is the same."
-Ken Emerson, 508 Veteran


Just realized that today is September 1st. Where did the time go? Seems it was just yesterday when I was talking to Jill about her crewing experience with Seana Hogan's team in this year's Race Across America. That was in mid-June, and the same day I decided I would do the 508, although I don't think I told Jill until a day or two later. I had to first run this past Dave.

Actual conversation with Dave:

Me: I'm thinking about doing the 508 with Tim this year.
Dave: THIS year?
Me: Yes. This may be my only chance. What do you think?
Dave: I think if you don't do this, you're going to regret it for the rest of your life.

Fast forward to...holy shit! Now. Staring this thing in the face. I'm not sure if I'm ready, but I'm not sure if anyone is ever ready for stuff like this.

If the 508 brings a lot of rain and cold weather, followed by excessive heat and humidity, then I think I'm good. This past week of training could easily be considered 'miserable' conditions. Training days have been not only taxing physically, but competitions with rush hour traffic, crappy road conditions, poor visibility, and, oh yeah, the coldest day in August this area has seen in the past 7 years, Not exactly a picnic, but I've ridden enough in the desert to know that things could be worse.

Someone once said that pain is just weakness leaving the body. (I wanted to smack that person). I can't say that I feel myself getting stronger, but I have felt plenty of 'weakness leaving my body' in recent days. So, with a couple of ridiculous training days left this week, and then settling into maintenance before the starting gun goes off on September 19th, I will trade up any misery for whatever benefit I can gain. Because if this is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, I want to savor every moment while it lasts.



No comments:

Post a Comment