Thursday, November 12, 2015

Seeing things in a new light



With the change back to 'standard time' a couple of weeks ago, the transition from summer to fall is complete.

I kick and scream going into it, but really, I like fall here in Northeast Ohio. The turning leaves, the bite in the air, the morning frost - it's all good. My friend Mike at DadCooksDinner wrote in a recent blog post that his cooking changes with the seasons*. I thought about how my entire mindset changes with the seasons, including my approach to training, and riding.  It's time to either move indoors or learn to live with cold and dark.

The unseasonably mild November we've been having allowed for some opportunistic outdoor riding. It's different riding than in the summer. For one thing, the post-equinox angle of the sun seems to intensify the heat and the glare, a phenomenon that every cyclist around here has been made too keenly aware of lately. It changes the way familiar rides look, too: more shadows, richer colors. Kind of like riding these roads again for the first time.

The same thing happens when the road is covered with snow, but hopefully that won't be anytime soon.

I'm just getting back into focused training after taking a month off to re-group from a busy season. I've got a bike set up on the indoor trainer, but I'm not in any hurry to use it yet.  For now, I'll take advantage of every opportunity to enjoy what's left of these waning days of autumn.

*And, I like to steal blog ideas from Mike. Oh yeah, and if you haven't tried his recipe for Pressure Cooker BBQ Pulled Pork Tacos, go do it RIGHT NOW.


1 comment:

  1. I 100% agree! This is the perfect weather to just go outdoors and bike like there's no tomorrow. And yeah, hopefully snow will come a little bit later than usual. Training outside is definitely a lot better than doing it indoors.

    ReplyDelete