This year's goals are a little late in coming, because the season has been delayed a bit (rain, wind, cold, repeat...)
Joe Friel, in his "Training Bible" books, says that goals should be:
- Measurable - otherwise, how do you know you're improving?
- Under your control - 'complete the Twin Sizzler in 1:15:00 or better', vs. 'Win Twin Sizzler)
- Stretch your abilities - 'Finish a 10K race' isn't a real goal for someone who already runs 5 miles
- Stated in the positive - 'Not drown in my first triathlon' is an example of a not-positively-stated goal
With those guidelines in mind, here are my 2011 goals, in no order of importance:
- Ride with the Summit Freewheelers "A" group 3 times, hanging with them from start to finish all three times
- Run a 10-mile road or 10K trail race
- Run an average 7.5 min/mile pace in my two spring duathlons
- Attain the 8 points required to maintain 'Team" status in Snakebite Racing
- Compete in the Blossom Time 5-mile run, finishing with a better time than Andy Z (who dropped the gauntlet early in the year, and just so happens to be the CEO of the company for whom I currently work)
- Complete a Century Ride
I'd love to hear what you're training for this year. Please post your goals in the comments field of this blog.