Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Goal Setting

I like to plan my training around goals I set for myself early in the season.

This year's goals are a little late in coming, because the season has been delayed a bit (rain, wind, cold, repeat...)

Joe Friel, in his "Training Bible" books, says that goals should be:
  • Measurable - otherwise, how do you know you're improving?
  • Under your control - 'complete the Twin Sizzler in 1:15:00 or better', vs. 'Win Twin Sizzler)
  • Stretch your abilities - 'Finish a 10K race' isn't a real goal for someone who already runs 5 miles
  • Stated in the positive - 'Not drown in my first triathlon' is an example of a not-positively-stated goal

With those guidelines in mind, here are my 2011 goals, in no order of importance:
  • Ride with the Summit Freewheelers "A" group 3 times, hanging with them from start to finish all three times
  • Run a 10-mile road or 10K trail race
  • Run an average 7.5 min/mile pace in my two spring duathlons
  • Attain the 8 points required to maintain 'Team" status in Snakebite Racing
  • Compete in the Blossom Time 5-mile run, finishing with a better time than Andy Z (who dropped the gauntlet early in the year, and just so happens to be the CEO of the company for whom I currently work)
And lastly, I'm going to add this one is as a BONUS goal, even though this isn't currently part of the plan:
  • Complete a Century Ride
I'll update each of these goals as the season progresses.

I'd love to hear what you're training for this year. Please post your goals in the comments field of this blog.

1 comment:

  1. Nice post Pam-staying positive is key for sure. I'd be down to run a 10k trail with you. Check out the XTEERA Ohio trail series. I might do a few after the big ride in June. Oh and whenever you wanna do a 80+ -110mi ride, hit me up. I get bored!

    ReplyDelete